Senior Mechanical Engineer
Coopersburg, Pennsylvania, US
Job ID: 4782
Lutron Electronics Co., Inc has an immediate opening for a highly motivated Senior Mechanical Engineer at our Corporate Headquarters in Coopersburg, Pennsylvania. Our Mechanical Engineers are focused on developing new products that maintain our market position as the world leader in automated lighting, shading, and temperature controls. As a member of our cross-functional engineering team, you will conceive, design and produce the highest quality products that help users save energy, improve comfort, and enhance the functionality of every space. In this role, your unique talents will help us discover new technologies, assembly techniques, materials, and process improvement methods to bring value to our customers.
You will be working on:
- Designing component and assembly concepts, identification of cost reduction, and product improvement opportunities
- Designing and developing small tools and fixtures
- Creating 3D models of new mechanical components and assemblies
- Completing mechanical engineering analyses of components and assemblies: FEA, Tolerance Analysis, DFM, FMEA
- Learning (if not currently skilled) Finite Element Analysis (FEA) models of complex assemblies and loading conditions
- Working with other engineers to ensure that thorough engineering analyses have been completed and risks to cost, quality, and delivery have been identified
- Sourcing prototype components using our 3D printers, from our in-house machine shop or nearby vendors.
- Assembling functional and aesthetically accurate prototypes for review with senior management.
- Conducting effective design reviews to share your work and gather feedback for alternatives and improvements
- Rapidly iterating through the design process to arrive at a solution that meets cost, quality, and delivery objectives while meeting key product specifications
- Working closely with our purchasing team and vendors to source and qualify production tooling
- Collaborating with team members in our manufacturing facilities to introduce new products/components
- Troubleshooting manufacturing and customer issues
- Assuring a high standard of quality in your own work and in the work of others on your team via good design principles, process improvements, safety, aesthetics, smart testing, and review practices.
- Staying aligned to Lutron's cultures and values:
- Be passionate
- Be flexible and adaptable to changing markets
- Be an innovative thinker
- Be customer focused
- Be ethical
Your skills and qualifications:
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Engineering Science, or Physics
- Three or more years of industry experience in the field of mechanical product design
- Thorough knowledge of mechanical engineering fundamentals (beam bending, free body diagram, material properties, etc.)
- Proficiency with Creo or similar parametric CAD software
- Familiarity and hands-on experience with various part manufacturing processes, such as plastic injection molding and sheet metal fabrication
- Excellent communication skills with all departments and disciplines
- Skillful at solving problems with enthusiasm and creativity
- Willingness to travel 10% of the time, sometimes with little or no notice
Lutron Electronics’ position as the leading manufacturer of lighting controls worldwide, our unsurpassed quality, the breadth and depth of our product offerings, and our commitment to servicing our worldwide customers have resulted in annual double-digit growth. This growth has, in turn, allowed the company to continue to invest in finding and retaining the best people we can find to service our customers. Continuous growth has also fueled our ability to constantly develop new technologies and processes that drive the creation of new or better products, solutions, and services.
Lutron offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and a dynamic and professional work environment. We also offer continued growth through increased job responsibilities, courses offered through Lutron University and advancement opportunities. For more information, view our website at www.lutron.com .