Senior Packaging Engineer
Lehigh Valley, PA
A Packaging Engineer designs, tests, and implements packaging designs that are an integral part of the organization’s Product Development process. This individual develops, designs, and tests guidelines for developing packaging solutions for the organization’s products. They work with internal resources, packaging suppliers and Lutron’s part suppliers to achieve functional packaging goals.
PACKAGING ENGINEER ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee and manage complete packaging development process, including the creation of packaging designs, prototype development, and performance testing. Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely, and cost-effective solutions.
- Help establish standards and guidelines for supplier evaluation. With the Procurement team - Evaluate and select packaging suppliers; With SQE - conduct strategic supplier reviews.
- Participate in New Product Development teams, to deliver new products to market. Work closely with global suppliers, engineering, product management, ACE, operations / manufacturing, and procurement.
- Work closely with Procurement Engineering to optimize packaging supply base for cost, lead time, quality, localization, standardization and compliance with customer, regulatory, and internal requirements. Identify and implement cost saving initiatives related to packaging materials, labor, efficiency, transportation, quality and warehousing.
- Specify and recommend tools and test methods to validate packaging designs. Develop and implement comprehensive test plans to ensure that packaging meets or exceeds internal and customer specifications.
- Work with the manufacturing engineering to ensure that the packaging designs are optimized for use in Lutron manufacturing plants.
Reports to the Mold and Die Engineering Manager. Works in conjunction with the ACE, Marketing, Engineering and Procurement departments.
A bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or packaging engineering is required. Must have 3+ years of experience in industrial or consumer packaging. Knowledge and understanding of packaging design validation standards (ISO, ASTM, etc.), drawing and specification standards is essential. Proficiency in 3D CAD software is needed.
Problem solving and decision-making skills are necessary. Must be able to work independently and as part of a team. Must have good communication skills, orally and in writing. Understanding of process improvement, quality improvement concepts is needed. Should have experience in rapid prototyping. Must be able to demonstrate project management skills and experience.
Ability to communicate orally with customers, management, and coworkers is crucial.
Must be able to travel internationally to work side-by-side with Global Suppliers.
No heavy lifting is expected. Exertion of up to 35 lbs. of force occasionally may be required.
Good reasoning ability is required to solve a wide range of business problems. Able to apply statistical calculations, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, and sampling theory as well as algebra, linear equations, and other analytics as required. Able to understand and utilize corporate reports and plans to conduct business.
Lutron Electronics position as the leading manufacturer of lighting controls worldwide, our unsurpassed quality, the breadth and depth of our product offerings, and our commitment to servicing our worldwide customers have resulted in double digit growth annually. This growth has in turn allowed the company to continue to invest in recruiting and retaining the best people we can find to service our customers. Continuous growth has also fueled our ability to constantly develop new technologies and new manufacturing processes that in turn drive the creation of new or better products and services
Lutron offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and a dynamic and professional work environment. We also offer continued growth through increased job responsibilities, courses offered through Lutron University and advancement opportunities. For more information, view our website at www.lutron.com. EOE/AA.