Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer - Austin
At Ketra, we are transforming the way we experience light. We believe that the light we live under as we work, play, and sleep should be natural. From our home base in Austin, Texas, we are building the most advanced technology for beautiful light – from the proprietary semiconductor in each light to a complete re-imagining of the user experience. The lighting industry is changing, and we are leading the charge.
Ketra has an immediate opening for an experienced for a highly motivated Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Austin, TX. In this position, you would be a key part of the Engineering development team, developing innovative mechanical designs for LED based lighting systems.
You will have the opportunity to join a dynamic group—learning from experiences and from one another; we are always seeking to discover new technologies, design techniques, materials technology, and aesthetic design. The products and systems you develop are destined for use in the most cutting edge residential and commercial environments.
Our engineers contribute to all phases of the product life cycle from initial concept and prototype to supporting production. The broad scope of opportunities at Ketra allow the curious and hard-working to succeed. We are looking for candidates that have a commitment to learning and developing their own skill set. Ideal candidates are positive self-starters that are open to sharing ideas to contribute to the improvement of the entire team.
This role reports to the Director of Mechanical Engineering
- Design component and assembly concepts. Identify cost reduction and product improvement opportunities
- Design and develop small tools and fixtures
- Create 3D models of new mechanical components and assemblies
- Complete mechanical engineering analyses of components and assemblies: FEA, Tolerance Analysis, DFM, FMEA
- Be open to learning (if not currently skilled) Finite Element Analysis (FEA) models of complex assemblies and loading conditions.
- Work with other engineers to ensure that thorough engineering analyses have been completed and risks to cost, quality and delivery have been identified.
- Source prototype components using our 3D printers, internal and external machine shops, and nearby vendors. Drive rapid iteration and convergence of designs
- Assemble functional and aesthetically accurate prototypes for review with senior management.
- Conduct effective design reviews to share your work and gather feedback for alternatives and improvements
- Rapidly iterate through the design process to arrive at a solution that meets cost, quality and delivery objectives while meeting key product specifications
- Work closely with our purchasing team and vendors to source and qualify production tooling.
- Collaborate with team members in our manufacturing facilities to introduce new products/components
- Troubleshoot manufacturing and customer issues
- Assure a high standard of quality in your own work and in the work of others on your team via good design principles, process improvements, safety, aesthetics, smart testing and review practices.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, with at least a 3.0 GPA (or equivalent)
- 3 or more years of industry experience in the field of mechanical product design
- Thorough knowledge of mechanical engineering fundamentals (beam bending, static analysis, material properties, heat transfer, etc.)
- Proficiency with Creo or similar parametric CAD software
- Familiarity and hands-on experience with various part manufacturing processes such as plastic injection molding, die casting, and sheet metal fabrication.
- Excellent communication skills with all departments and disciplines
- Skillful at solving problems with enthusiasm and creativity
- Willingness to travel 10% of the time, sometimes with little or no notice
Lutron offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and a dynamic and professional work environment. We also offer continued growth through increased job responsibilities, courses offered through Lutron University and advancement opportunities. For more information, view our website at www.lutron.com. EOE/AA.