Mechanical Engineering Design and Development Leader
Mechanical Design and Development Leader
At Ketra, we are transforming the way we experience light. We believe that the light we live under as we work, play, and sleep should be natural. From our home base in Austin, Texas, we are building the most advanced technology for beautiful light – from the proprietary semiconductor in each light to a complete re-imagining of the user experience. The lighting industry is changing, and we are leading the charge.
Ketra has an immediate opening for an experienced Mechanical Design and Development Leader at our headquarters in Austin, TX. In this position, you would be a key part of the Engineering development team, developing innovative mechanical designs for LED based lighting systems.
You will have the opportunity to join a dynamic group—learning from experiences and from one another; we are always seeking to discover new technologies, design techniques, materials technology, and aesthetic design. The products and systems you develop are destined for use in the most cutting edge residential and commercial environments. We work hard, driving towards big goals, and a high degree of satisfaction when these goals are met.
This role reports to the Director of Mechanical Engineering
- Lead a team of engineers to achieve major objectives
- Guide the design of maintainable, elegant, and lasting solutions to meet a wide variety of requirements and feature sets while working closely with a team of other highly skilled engineering professionals to deliver top-quality products to the end user
- Integrate all aspects of design (aesthetics, function, user interface, manufacturability, lifecycle)
- Assure a high standard of quality in your own work and in the work of others on your team via good design principles, process improvements, safety, aesthetics, smart testing and review practices.
- Demonstrate expertise in resolving highly complex, multi-variable technical issues
- Develop tools to better characterize, design, and understand components and systems for the purpose of continuously improving quality
- Work with other engineers to ensure that thorough engineering analyses have been completed and risks to cost, quality and delivery have been identified.
- Lead by example. Take a hands-on role in helping the team meet its deliverables. Develop team members by actively working beside them to complete their tasks.
- Lead, facilitate, and help others hold effective design reviews.
- Champion clear, concise communication of technical information backed by deep fundamental understanding of the underlying principles.
- Mentor and coach colleagues to expand the effectiveness of those around you
- Drive rapid iteration and convergence of new designs and solutions to problems.
- Apply your expertise in whatever ways necessary to meet the needs of the business
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, with at least a 3.0 GPA (or equivalent)
- 10 or more years of industry experience in the field of mechanical engineering. Experience with product development for high quality, high volume consumer products is a plus.
- 5 or more years of experience leading a team of 5 or more engineers
- Thorough knowledge of mechanical engineering principles
- Familiarity and hands-on experience with various manufacturing processes including injection molding, stamping, extrusion, thermoforming, and machining
- Excellent communication skills with all departments and disciplines, and with global teams.
- Skillful at solving problems with enthusiasm, creativity, and resilience
- Ability to work cross functionally with teams around the globe.
- Willingness to travel 10% of the time, sometimes with little or no notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer.