Embedded Linux Software Design Engineer - Boston
Lutron is a human and technology-centered and people-driven company. We have a long history of significant growth and smart innovations.
- The industry is born: Our founder’s first invention of an energy saving solid state dimmer and the resulting inception of Lutron in 1961 marked the birth of the lighting control industry.
- Control systems for every market: Lutron has control solutions targeting a wide variety of light, shade, and temperature applications for a single room all the way up to a multi-building campus. Our distinguished installations include The White House, the homes of numerous celebrities, The Empire State Building, 49ers Stadium, LEGOLAND theme park (Günzburg), NASA HQ, and multiple others.
- Smart connected systems and IoT: Lutron has been at the forefront of innovating products for smart homes and connected buildings for more than 20 years and is now providing leadership in the human-centered IoT ecosystem. Our strategic alliances include integration with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Echo, Sonos, Nest, IFTTT, and multiple others.
- Foster sustainability, save energy, and protect our environment: Lutron controls have reduced electrical use by 9.2 billion kWh, which reduces our customers’ electric bills by more than $1 billion annually.
Why is Lutron a good place for Embedded Linux Software Engineers
- For almost 60 years, Lutron has innovated many thousands of new products and has a broad repertoire of 3,000+ design and product patents.
- We develop our hardware and software, which enables us to provide superior end-to-end experience for our users.
- Lutron’s engineers design and develop solutions in embedded, IOT, mobile, web, desktop/server, and cloud-based environments using leading technologies and processes.
- We have a collaborative culture, you will be working side by side on cross-functional teams with other highly skilled engineers and designers, learning from their experiences while still having your voice heard.
What you’ll do at Lutron
- Architect stable, efficient, and scalable platforms upon which world-class embedded software applications can easily be built
- Design maintainable, elegant, and lasting solutions to meet a wide variety of requirements and feature sets
- Work closely with a team of other highly skilled engineering professionals to deliver top-quality software/hardware to the end user
- Balance a variety of tasks related to: requirements gathering, system architecture design, protocol and communications architecture, database and object model design, software development, testing, trouble-shooting, and software maintenance
- Mentor and coach colleagues to expand the effectiveness of those around you
- Assure a high standard of quality in your own work and in the work of others on your team via good coding practices, process improvements, clean designs, smart testing and review practices
What we’re looking for
- BS in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or similar, with at least a 3.0 GPA (or equivalent)
- 3 or more years of industry experience developing for Embedded Linux
- Experience utilizing build systems including Jenkins, Make and cmake
- Familiarity and hands-on experience with Linux Driver development
- Working knowledge of good programming techniques, and familiarity with object-oriented design, database design principles, and basic concurrency concepts
- Excellent communication skills with all departments and disciplines
- Skillful at solving problems with enthusiasm and creativity
- Willingness to travel 5% of the time, sometimes with little notice
- Technical experience required in a majority of the following areas:
- Scripting and low level programming languages including C, Python and shell scripting
- Networking and Wireless protocols such as TCP/IP and Wi-Fi
- Memory technologies such as DDR RAM, NAND Flash and eMMC
- Linux driver and kernel debugging techniques
- Familiarity with cross compilation and tool chain and dependency management
- Security and Cryptography concepts and techniques
- Continuous integration and deployment tools
- Automated unit and integration testing frameworks
Lutron Electronics’ position as the leading manufacturer of lighting controls worldwide, our unsurpassed quality, the breadth and depth of our product offerings, and our commitment to servicing our worldwide customers have resulted in double digit growth annually. This growth has in turn allowed the company to continue to invest in recruiting and retaining the best people we can find to service our customers. Continuous growth has also fueled our ability to constantly develop new technologies and new manufacturing processes that in turn drive the creation of new or better products and services.
Lutron offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and a dynamic and professional work environment. We also offer continued growth through increased job responsibilities, courses offered through Lutron University and advancement opportunities. For more information, view our website at www.lutron.com. EOE/AA.