Software Development Manager
Lutron is a human and technology-centered and people-driven company. We have a long history of significant growth and smart innovations.
- The industry is born: Our founder’s first invention of an energy saving solid state dimmer and the resulting inception of Lutron in 1961 marked the birth of the lighting control industry.
- Control systems for every market: Lutron has control solutions targeting a wide variety of light, shade, and temperature applications for a single room all the way up to a multi-building campus. Our distinguished installations include The White House, the homes of numerous celebrities, The Empire State Building, 49ers Stadium, LEGOLAND theme park (Günzburg), NASA HQ, and multiple others.
- Smart connected systems and IoT: Lutron has been at the forefront of innovating products for smart homes and connected buildings for more than 20 years and is now providing leadership in the human-centered IoT ecosystem. Our strategic alliances include integration with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Echo, Sonos, Nest, IFTTT, and multiple others.
- Foster sustainability, save energy, and protect our environment: Lutron controls have reduced electrical use by 9.2 billion kWh, which reduces our customers’ electric bills by more than $1 billion annually.
Why is Lutron a good place for Software Development Manager?
- Over the last 55 years, Lutron has innovated thousands of new products and has a broad repertoire of 3,000+ design and product patents
- We develop our hardware and software, which enables us to provide superior end-to-end experience for our users
- Lutron’s engineers have made it through a rigorous hiring process. You will work with the brightest software engineers to realize timely solutions to unique and challenging opportunities.
- We provide flexible opportunities, based on their interests and career goals, many of our leaders have transitioned to roles in product management, sales, operations, and more.
What you’ll do at Lutron
- Manage project teams of software engineers, designers, and software quality engineers to design, develop, and deliver world-class systems solutions
- Provide technical guidance to teams, evaluate proposed designs, and help to architect and layout sound approaches to new features and system capabilities
- Work with sales and product management stakeholders to scope projects, prioritize features, plan releases, develop timelines, and specify key project milestones
- Evaluate and monitor software development processes, continuous integration, and issue tracking, making updates as necessary to ensure your teams’ efficiency and progress
- Manage your teams’ development, training, and mentoring needs and work to ensure appropriate staffing based on project needs
- Support existing customers by guiding your teams to respond appropriately to field issues and new feature requests
What we’re looking for
- BS in Computer Science or similar, with at least a 3.0 GPA (or equivalent)
- 10 or more years of industry experience in the field of application software development
- 3 or more years of experience as a software project leader, project manager, development manager, or related, with experience managing/supervising direct reports
- Thorough knowledge of computer science and software engineering fundamentals
- Excellent communication skills with all departments and disciplines
- Skillful at solving problems with enthusiasm and creativity
- Ability to evaluate, organize, and motivate teams
- Willingness to travel 10% of the time, sometimes with little or no notice
- Technical experience required in a majority of the following areas:
- Object-oriented programming concepts (encapsulation, polymorphism, interfaces, etc.)
- High-level programming languages such as C++, C#, Java, Objective C
- Algorithm design and run-time analysis
- Asynchronous programming techniques
- Basic user-interface design
- Database design (table design, stored procedure development, etc.)
Lutron offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and a dynamic and professional work environment. We also offer continued growth through increased job responsibilities, courses offered through Lutron University and advancement opportunities. For more information, view our website at www.lutron.com. EOE/AA.