Lutron is a human and technology-centered and people-driven company. We have a long history of significant growth and smart innovations.
- The industry is born: Our founder’s first invention of an energy saving solid state dimmer and the resulting inception of Lutron in 1961 marked the birth of the lighting control industry.
- Control systems for every market: Lutron has control solutions targeting a wide variety of light, shade, and temperature applications for a single room all the way up to a multi-building campus. Our distinguished installations include The White House, the homes of numerous celebrities, The Empire State Building, 49ers Stadium, LEGOLAND theme park (Günzburg), NASA HQ, and multiple others.
- Smart connected systems and IoT: Lutron has been at the forefront of innovating products for smart homes and connected buildings for more than 20 years and is now providing leadership in the human-centered IoT ecosystem. Our strategic alliances include integration with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Echo, Sonos, Nest, IFTTT, and multiple others.
- Foster sustainability, save energy, and protect our environment: Lutron controls have reduced electrical use by 9.2 billion kWh, which reduces our customers’ electric bills by more than $1 billion annually.
Why is Lutron a good place for Software Architects
- Over the last 55 years, Lutron has innovated thousands of new products and has a broad repertoire of 3,000+ design and product patents
- We develop our hardware and software, which enables us to provide superior end-to-end experience for our users
- Lutron has a long history of adopting the latest technologies to the challenges of product and systems development. You will bring new capabilities and expertise to the design table, driving innovation and efficiency.
- We have a collaborative culture, you will be working side by side on cross-functional teams with other highly skilled engineers and designers, learning from their experiences and finding your own voice heard.
What you’ll do at Lutron
- Architect responsive, resilient, elastic, and loosely-coupled systems upon which world-class user interfaces can easily be built
- Explore emerging trends and technologies in order to bring new capabilities into the company
- Contribute to multiple projects at a time, working to understand requirements and propose extendable architectures that can be reused across projects, as well as working hands-on to prove out new concepts and deliver reference and concrete implementations as needed
- Drive the evaluation of implementations to ensure the goals of the architecture have been met, including aspects such as high performance, reliability, elasticity, availability, and security
- Mentor and coach developers to expand their ability to contribute to scalable, extendable, and elegant designs
- Work with external consultants to review concepts and designs and to learn new patterns and techniques that can be leveraged across projects
- Assure a high standard of quality in your own work and in the work of others by developing the right levels of documentation and the right processes for review and qualification of designs
What we’re looking for
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Physics, or Math
- 10 or more years of industry experience in the field of software engineering, with 3+ years of experience and a track record of accomplishments in software architecture and design
- Ability to work collaboratively while also thriving in a technical leadership position
- Hands-on attitude and a strong work ethic
- Excellent communication skills with all departments and disciplines
- Ability to take direction from others while also being able to work independently
- Skillful at solving problems with enthusiasm and creativity
- Driven to maintain high standards of quality, even under pressure
- Ability to pass on knowledge and experience to others in a manner which improves the overall effectiveness of the team
- Willingness to travel 5% of the time, sometimes with little notice.
- Technical experience required in a majority of the following areas:
- Object-oriented programming concepts (encapsulation, polymorphism, interfaces, etc.)
- Experience programming Cloud-based, Windows, web, and/or native mobile applications in high-level languages such as C++, C#, Objective C, Java, etc.
- Algorithm design and run-time analysis
- Design patterns
- Asynchronous programming techniques
- Database design (table design, stored procedure development)
- Enterprise-level source control (Team Foundation Server, SVN, etc.)
- Relational DBMS such as SQL Server (including experience with normalized table design, complex query operations, stored procedures, etc.), and/or NoSQL database engines
- Automated unit-testing frameworks such as NUnit/Junit
- N-Tier application design and development, including experience with business object models and interface-based designs
- Socket programming and/or software-hardware communications interface programming
- Networks and network/communications protocols such as TCP/IP and UDP, RS232, etc.
- Multi-threaded application design and development
Lutron offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and a dynamic and professional work environment. We also offer continued growth through increased job responsibilities, courses offered through Lutron University and advancement opportunities. For more information, view our website at www.lutron.com. EOE/AA.