Senior Principal Software Architect
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Lutron is a human and technology-centered and people-driven company. We have a long history of significant growth and smart innovations.
- The industry is born: Our founder’s first invention of an energy saving solid state dimmer and the resulting inception of Lutron in 1961 marked the birth of the lighting control industry.
- Control systems for every market: Lutron has control solutions targeting a wide variety of light, shade, and temperature applications for a single room all the way up to a multi-building campus. Our distinguished installations include The White House, the homes of numerous celebrities, The Empire State Building, 49ers Stadium, LEGOLAND theme park (Günzburg), NASA HQ, and multiple others.
- Smart connected systems and IoT: Lutron has been at the forefront of innovating products for smart homes and connected buildings for more than 20 years and is now providing leadership in the human-centered IoT ecosystem. Our strategic alliances include integration with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Echo, Sonos, Nest, IFTTT, and multiple others.
- Foster sustainability, save energy, and protect our environment: Lutron controls have reduced electrical use by 9.2 billion kWh, which reduces our customers’ electric bills by more than $1 billion annually.
Why is Lutron a good place for Senior Principal Software Architect
- Over the last 55 years, Lutron has innovated thousands of new products and has a broad repertoire of 3,500+ design and product patents
- We develop our hardware and software, which enables us to provide superior end-to-end experience for our users
- Lutron has a long history of evaluating and adopting the new technologies to the challenges of product and systems development. You will bring new capabilities and expertise to the design table, driving innovation and efficiency.
- We have a collaborative culture, you will be working side by side on cross-functional teams with other highly skilled engineers and designers – who are always seeking to discover new technologies, computing techniques, innovative designs, and process improvement methods – learning from their experiences and finding your own voice heard.
What you’ll do at Lutron
- Understand business needs, system requirements and create or select the most appropriate architecture for the system.
- Architect responsive, resilient, elastic, and loosely-coupled cloud platforms systems upon which world-class services can easily be built.
- Work hands-on with teams to prove out new concepts and drive the execution of the target architectures.
- Drive the evaluation of implementations to ensure the goals of the architecture have been met.
- Work with vendors and review offerings and contracts in order to understand and balance factors such as intellectual property rights, physical locations, data availability, service level agreements, and service interruptions
- Work with external consultants to review concepts and designs and to learn new patterns and techniques that can be leveraged across projects.
- Explore emerging trends and technologies in order to bring new capabilities into the company.
- Mentor and coach engineers to expand their ability to contribute to scalable, extendable, and elegant designs.
- Assure a high standard of quality in your own work and in the work of others by developing the right levels of documentation and the right processes for review and qualification of designs
What we’re looking for
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- 8 or more years of industry experience in the field of software engineering, with 3+ years of experience and a track record of accomplishments in cloud-based software architecture and design.
- Hands-on attitude and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to work collaboratively while also thriving in a technical leadership position.
- Excellent communication skills with all departments and disciplines
- Ability to take direction from others while also being able to work independently.
- Driven to maintain high standards of quality, even under pressure
- Experience in mentoring software engineers.
- Technical expertise required in a majority of the following areas:
- Object oriented analysis, design and service oriented architecture.
- Communications protocol design and theory.
- Design and development of service APIs (entity, reference, transactional, etc.)
- Design and development of distributed cloud-based modules that are testable and maintainable
- Algorithm design and run-time analysis
- Asynchronous programming techniques, including multi-threaded application design and development
- Managing data collection, storage, retrieval, and analysis using RDBMS and/or NOSQL platforms
- Fundamental understanding of software security principles and practices
Lutron Electronics’ position as the leading manufacturer of lighting controls worldwide, our unsurpassed quality, the breadth and depth of our product offerings, and our commitment to servicing our worldwide customers have resulted in double digit growth annually. This growth has in turn allowed the company to continue to invest in recruiting and retaining the best people we can find to service our customers. Continuous growth has also fueled our ability to constantly develop new technologies and new manufacturing processes that in turn drive the creation of new or better products and services.
Lutron offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and a dynamic and professional work environment. For more information, view our website at www.lutron.com . EOE/AA