Application Software Development Engineer - Lehigh Valley, PA
Lehigh Valley, PA
Lutron is a human and technology-centered and people-driven company. We have a long history of significant growth and smart innovations.
- The industry is born: Our founder’s first invention of an energy saving solid state dimmer and the resulting inception of Lutron in 1961 marked the birth of the lighting control industry.
- Control systems for every market: Lutron has control solutions targeting a wide variety of light, shade, and temperature applications for a single room all the way up to a multi-building campus. Our distinguished installations include The White House, the homes of numerous celebrities, The Empire State Building, 49ers Stadium, LEGOLAND theme park (Günzburg), NASA HQ, and multiple others.
- Smart connected systems and IoT: Lutron has been at the forefront of innovating products for smart homes and connected buildings for more than 20 years and is now providing leadership in the human-centered IoT ecosystem. Our strategic alliances include integration with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Echo, Sonos, Nest, IFTTT, and multiple others.
- Foster sustainability, save energy, and protect our environment: Lutron controls have reduced electrical use by 9.2 billion kWh, which reduces our customers’ electric bills by more than $1 billion annually.
Why is Lutron a good place for Software Engineers
- For almost 60 years, Lutron has innovated many thousands of new products and has a broad repertoire of 3,000+ design and product patents
- We develop our software and hardware, which enables us to provide superior end-to-end experience for our users
- Lutron’s engineers design and develop solutions in mobile, web, desktop/server, and cloud-based environments using leading technologies and processes.
- We have a collaborative culture, you will be working side by side on cross-functional teams with other highly skilled engineers and designers, learning from their experiences and finding your own voice heard.
What you’ll do at Lutron
- Design responsive, resilient, elastic, and loosely-coupled systems upon which world-class user interfaces can easily be built
- Design maintainable, elegant, and lasting solutions to meet a wide variety of requirements and feature sets while working closely with a team of other highly skilled engineering professionals to deliver top-quality software to the end user
- Balance a variety of tasks related to: requirements gathering, user interface design, protocol and communications architecture, database and object model design, software development, testing, trouble-shooting, and software maintenance
- Mentor and coach colleagues to expand the effectiveness of those around you
- Assure a high standard of quality in your own work and in the work of others on your team via good coding practices, process improvements, clean designs, smart testing and review practices
What we’re looking for
- BS in Computer Science or similar, with at least a 3.0 GPA (or equivalent)
- Six or more years of industry experience in the field of application software development
- Thorough knowledge of computer science and software engineering fundamentals
- Familiarity and hands-on experience with various design patterns
- Strong working knowledge of good programming techniques, and familiarity with object-oriented design, database design principles, and basic user-interface design concepts
- Excellent communication skills with all departments and disciplines
- Skillful at solving problems with enthusiasm and creativity
- Willingness to travel 10% of the time, sometimes with little or no notice
- Technical experience required in a majority of the following areas:
- Object-oriented programming concepts (encapsulation, polymorphism, interfaces, etc.)
- High-level programming languages such as C++, C#, Java, Objective C
- Algorithm design and run-time analysis
- Asynchronous programming techniques
- Basic user-interface design
- Database design (table design, stored procedure development)
Lutron offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and a dynamic and professional work environment. We also offer continued growth through increased job responsibilities, courses offered through Lutron University and advancement opportunities. For more information, view our website at www.lutron.com. EOE/AA.